Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To believe or not to believe?!

When we were kids, we had utmost and irrevocable faith in our parents. They were our role models, there was no one else better than them. And so we tried to imitate them. We wanted to be like them. Their word was the final word, iron clad. We simply couldn't and wouldn't believe in anything else. They told us to pray, we prayed. They told us to be good, we tried to be good. They told us to believe in god, we believed in god without a second thought, even though we didn't fully understand the concept of 'GOD'. We believed in every truth, story, fable, lie, order they gave us, because we didn't know any better. As we grew up, we started questioning these beliefs naturally. We started rebelling against orders, fought against lies, believed our own opinions to be true and started creating our own fables. It is but nature, how God has made us, we are not at fault. But old habits die hard, the seeds sown when young still hold their roots even if the tree has grown and wilted.We retain a part of what we were taught in the childhood. Our conscience questions our rebellious nature, a part of us still wants to meekly believe and sometimes we take the easy way out by believing instead of questioning.


My mother is a pious woman. She has unconditional devotion towards God. In her own way she tried to inculcate these very qualities in me, when I was but a kid. And since I saw her as my role model, I had utter faith in her, I believed in her, listened to her, tried to do as she told me to do. She believes in Sri Sathya Sai Baba. She told me to believe in him. She told me he's a God, and I believed her then. I believed he was a God, I prayed to him, I asked him for wishes, as children usually do. As I grew up, my belief didn't change, even though I no longer needed to blindly believe what my mother said and always agree with her. Call it my blind faith, call it superstition, call it my innocence or whatever. But I had my own reasons to believe. Of course the intensity of my belief was directly proportional to how big a mess I was in at the time (Yes, I wouldn't call myself pious in any sense).

Just recently Sri Sathya Sai Baba died at the ripe old age of 85, and as is in the case of people who are always in the limelight and who leave behind a lot of money in trusts, controversies followed. Many people started debasing him on the various social networking websites, newspapers and other media. Many videos were released showing him to be a fake, how he cheated people in his miracles etc. Other controversies started about the money he's left behind in the trust, about who will head the trust after Baba's demise and so on. All these people fail to remember that Sri Sathya Sai Baba, maybe he's not a god, but he sure did a lot of charity work for the people all around the world & not just in India. His trust supports a variety of free educational institutions, hospitals, and other charitable works in over 166 countries. Whatever money he obtained from the devotees was ultimately used in their own betterment through these very educational institutions and hospitals. He preached spiritualism, meditation, good karma, sanatana dharma (All God's are one) and purity in human values and character. He was an Indian guru, spiritual figure, philanthropist, and educator. He used the better part of his life in influencing people spiritually. He did not do any sort of harm to other people. He did not preach jihad or murder. He's no Osama Bin Laden or Dawood Ibrahim. He tried to influence people to become good human beings.

So maybe he's not a God, he definitely is a better Human being than us lot. Instead of belittling him, wouldn't it serve us better to give him credit for his good work? After all that's what humanity is all about. Remember Jesus Christ? And how he was treated when he was alive? Now they believe him to be the son of God. Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But he was a spiritual guru too, he worked for the well being of others, he preached peace, non violence and spiritualism and look how he was crucified for his teachings. History shows that we human beings cannot be trusted, we make mistakes. But we should also learn from these very mistakes instead of repeating them. Don't believe in Sri Sathya Sai Baba, don't believe in Jesus Christ, but give them credit for the good that they have done instead of blaspheming their name. They may or may not be God, but they are human beings as long as they are on earth and its up to us to follow their good teachings.

I for myself, still believe Sri Sathya Sai baba's teachings. Like I said old habits die hard. Maybe I am not that pious, I am still young, I have yet to see the world, am too attached to materialistic pleasures. But I also do believe in his teachings of spiritualism, good karma and sanatana dharma. There is only one God, pray to Ganesha, Jesus, Vishnu, Buddha or Allah. Ultimately its your faith that matters.

16 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. While the jury is still out on his alleged tricks and child-molestation accusations, the man gave a semblance of hope to lakhs of people. Hope makes the world go round. Sathya Sai Baba, as do many other leaders, assert the general goodness of mankind and make people believe that things will be alright. I'm not a follower, but I found the mud-slinging saddening and irritating at the same time. There's a time for all that. Not now.
    P.S. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimately its the faith that matter, thats the key!!! Everything that happens in the life of an avatar has a purpose behind it. Its the "Maya" as they say around, that deludes us into thinking that he is just another human. He can't be, for what he has done, could not have been done by a "mere human" Forget miracles, forget creations, they were but a minute part of the phenomenon called sathya sai baba. His Message, the inspiration and hope he brought to millions of people guiding them on the path of spirituality, and the mammoth service projects he has done are the other side of the phenomenon. [only to inspire many more such projects [thousands] may be at a smaller scale across the globe that never get mentioned]. Much of His work gets done without much fanfare, pomp and show. Coming to the creations, as Baba himself said - The formula that nothing can be created out of nothing is appropriate to the limited field and dimensions of science. It does not at all apply to the transcendental field and dimensions of spirituality. How many "miracles" can be passed off as random co-incidences anyway ? Check - http://www.tehelka.com/story_main49.asp?filename=hub070511WHY.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the Godly beliefs, I respect everyone's view, opinions and beliefs. Even my religion teaches me that. But i know deep in my heart that what i believe is right and what others believe is wrong. I'm not exactly judging anyone based on their faith, but my faith is so strong that i cannot even fathom the thought of accepting any other reasoning.

    And yes, i agree with you that if he has done good deeds, then he deserves credit for it.
    In fact, i believe that, even if a person has done no good, he still needs to be given credit for not harming others (this is world is such a cruel place that not harming others is also a feat in itself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Swamy Saran Atul..
    thanks :)..and you summed it up right!Everything has a time..All those controversies about his trust, makes everyone look like gold diggers! Really give it a rest, he's been dead just for a few days..and of course the media has to make it even worse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous...totally agree! Like I said i ahd my very own reasons for believing him. They do have to do with something related to one of his miracles. This miracle that happened with me, its not something huge or life saving, i don't like to divulge about it, but it sure made my belief in him that much stronger...And the article you posted, excellent!...It becomes very hard to not believe in Baba when you have world renowned cardiac surgeons like Dr. Devi Shetty and supreme court judges vouching for his miracles! :) And by the way, all those chile molestation charges on him, none could be proved, in fact it turns out the person who charged him was high on illegal drugs when he reported the case...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @safiya..*But I know deep in my heart that what i believe is right and what others believe is wrong. I'm not exactly judging anyone based on their faith, but my faith is so strong that i cannot even fathom the thought of accepting any other reasoning.* Actually you are doing just that. You are judging people and not respecting their opinions when you say you believe it to be wrong. You'd be respecting their opinions and beliefs, when you would have an open mind and a flexibility about others beliefs even while having having a strong faith in your own. Also you forget that the main point of my whole rant was to point out that we should not be dissing people when they have made efforts to do good deeds, and was not to change other people's beliefs or make them accept my belief.

    I do respect your opinions and am not judging you, but you seem to have taken my article in a wrong way. If so its a case of worry for me, since I did not intend it to take that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rationality is too precious to sacrificed to superstition . He did good things with philanthropy and all , which is fine . But you need to look at the big picture. His trust amassed wealth to the tune of 50,000 cr. Where did all the money come from ? All this mostly black money of powerful politicians and businessmen , who donated to him . A guy running mutliple liquor shop( that spoils of lives of many ) donating a portion of his profits to Tirupati temple ( does not mean he is redeemed .) If Hasan Ali donated 500 cr for philanthropy out of the 50,000 Cr he stashed away in Foreign banks , does that mean he is good guy ? No

    I respect your faith , sometimes the source is as important as the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MJ
    This one is straight from the heart! :)
    All the best..Cheeers!!! :) Loved how you blended the personal the the national issue together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @KT..but that also does not make the receiver of the money bad right? You cant say that tirupathi is an institution that indirectly spoiled the lives of many because it accepted teh money from the liquor guy rt?..Similarly you can't say Baba is in cahoots with these politicians because they donated money to his trust either rt? and like i mentioned he has institutions in 166 countries...he has about 6 million followers worldwide..tht figure was estimated in 1999..His trust started way before that...50,000 cr, doesn't sound a huge amount when you take these numbers in to account. If hassan ali donated 500 cr to philanthropy that doesnt mk him a a good guy, no he's still a bad guy, but he's a known money launderer, there are no such charges against sri satya sai baba..all the money came from the devotees..and if the devotees are bad, that doesnt make Baba bad does it?..I mean come on, you cant tell someone to not to believe in you, just cos they are bad...In fact these frigging politicians probably thought they are doing some redeeming act for their sins or smthng, you never know...
    But all tht is besides the point, am just saying the media does a hue hue and cry over all the negative issues that are related to the situation and due to that matter, the positive issues get sidetracked. Any individual, not just Baba, deserves credit for all the good that they have done, if they have not taken part in any wrong doings ( Hassan ali is an example, he's actually been charged with money laundering, those are not just allegations, they have been proved)..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every line echoed.

    This would beautifully supplement something I'd written about three days ago, of course not quite as eloquently as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having said that, I'm afraid we can't make sweeping generalizations by saying, "he did NOT do something (or he did?)". I guess that'd be rubbing off the perspective.

    But wonderfully knitted and is very pure and simple, not one bit superfluous. Kudos on that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @koushik Actually the point I was making was that the allegations against him haven't been proved. In fact the child molestation charges turned out to be completely baseless. About the allegations related to the trust, I can't say anything on it as I haven't researched it up yet. That said, I do agree with you when you say it would be rubbing off the perspective. I do get passionate sometimes :p I should remember to lay it off a bit:)

    And thanks for your comments, your opinions mean a lot to me! And I did read your blog post, it completely echoed my sentiments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. *the point I was making in my comments not my post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pleasure entirely mine! I can't resist but heap praises on how you always stick it out for what you believe is right.

    And you should write a bit often - On a completely different note this is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the way you wrote... My mentor always used to tell me a concept called KISS.. which means Keep it simple and safe.. Really liked the ending... "Ultimately its your faith that matters"

    ReplyDelete